No… I haven’t forgotten and I haven’t changed my mind dear friends. The trip to Santorini is going ahead… and I hope you’ve been thinking of what it is you are going to write and how you’re going to write it, because it will be worth it. The delay is simply because I want to confirm a couple of details and I am trying to add more to the list of things the winning story/essay will get (as well as the runners up).
There are also a couple of things you can help me with. Call it a wiki-approach to the process of structuring this submission of dreams.
– Do we call them short stories or do we call them essays?
– If they are going to be under 1000 words then by definition they are short-short stories… or are they so short they should be called essays?
– Should the length be <1000 or under <2000 words? Is a <1000 enough to tell what needs to be told?
– Should the submission period be open till just before or just after Christmas? (winner will need time to plan)
– Should the judging panel be made up of people on my blog-roll? if so…that would make them ineligible to enter…hardly fair given that they have supported this blog from the very beginning!
So as you can see dear friends there is much to consider on this. Given that the whole thing is really for you… I would appreciate some input here. We want to make this as good as possible for everyone. We all want to read fantastic stories and give everyone that writes in a chance to enjoy a dream holiday on Santorini for a few days. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am sure there are things I haven’t thought about yet and things I have mentioned that could be done better…if so, please let me know. Meantime I will slap a few more people around on this end and get as much as I can out of them towards the winning package (that’s code for “ask them very nicely”… I’m not the forceful type) ;-)